● spectacular landscapes ● rare wildlife ● volunteering opportunities
Conservation at Montagne des Français
The Ambohitr’Antsingy Montagne des Français is one of 74 new protected areas that were designated by the Malagasy government in April and May 2015
This site is being managed by SAGE whose site-based team work with the local community to implement a range of activities
that will enable the conservation of the site’s dry deciduous forest and its rich flora and fauna.
These activities include:
• community policing to control damaging activities;
• support for development activities, including tourism, to provide alternative sources of income
for the local community than the non-sustainable exploitation of natural resources;
• restoration of degraded forest and reinforcement of the populations of threatened locally endemic trees;
• raising awareness among the local community about the importance of the forest and its biodiversity,
and research to inform decision-making.